Artist Opportunity – HYPERLOCAL development
HYPERLOCAL is a collaborative program between an artist or collective and four presenting partners across Melbourne – Abbotsford Convent (Abbotsford), Dancehouse (Carlton North), Darebin Arts (Northcote) and The Substation (Newport) – coordinated and produced by Performing Lines.
We are thrilled to invite artists to respond to the opportunity to work “hyperlocally” with us. This response could be a work which is new, re-imagined, physical, and/or virtual, developed in some spaces and presented in others – and everything beyond or in between. This is a rare opportunity for experimentation and play, with a chance to engage with up to four unique audiences, communities and spaces.
As part of this opportunity, the successful artist(s) will be given time, space and resources towards the creation of a new performance work. This pilot program will explore new ways for artists and presenters to work collaboratively to generate experiences for our communities hyperlocally. It’s a new way of working and we are excited to see what manifests and how this might shape the future.
We are really open to how artists might approach this opportunity across our physical and digital contexts. We also know that the world has changed due to COVID and we will work with artists’ creative ideas as well as our own experiences about how our collaboration may have built-in flexibility to navigate any COVID related impacts. We will all work to navigate these together.
Working together we want to celebrate artist(s) across all our arts venues and communities and learn together about how this mode of “presenting” work impacts locality and community ecologies. It is a new frontier to which the artist(s) are central. Through this program we will endeavour to enliven our practice and our communities and deepen our “togetherness” rather than separateness.
What you get
- An investment of $26,500.00 in realising your idea.
- Space and support to develop and present your work at Dancehouse, Abbotsford Convent, Darebin Arts and The Substation, or any combination thereof.
- Producing support from Performing Lines.
- Production support including:
- Production and tech support
- Hire of venue production equipment (where available)
What you need to do
- Develop a brand-new contemporary performance idea that incorporates the four venues in a creative and engaging way.
- Present some form of outcome. There must be at least one public outcome to take place at Darebin Arts. This can take any shape you like and does not have to be your typical end of development showing. We encourage new, bold ideas!
- Consider what access components should be factored into your new work as part of your development.
- Attend check-in meetings at various intervals with the venue partners to provide project updates.
- Document your work and process as part of your development so that it can be shared with the venue partners.
- Participate in a project debrief with the presenting partners and Performing Lines.
- Be open – it’s a brand new approach for all of us that could generate a new way of working!
Key Selection Criteria
- The proposal presents a compelling and innovative contemporary creative performance idea.
- Provide a top-line budget. The concept is realistic in scale for the available funds.
- Must be a Victorian based artist.
How to apply
Max one-page written expression of interest about your idea and who else is involved. Please include separately a little bit about you (i.e. bio), a top-line budget and a rough timeline. Applicants with diverse experiences are encouraged to apply.
We want you to apply in the format that is easiest for you. If you have any specific access requirements, please get in touch with Natasha Phillips at email@example.com
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 20 September 2021.
EOIs open: 30 August 2021
EOIs close: 20 September 2021
*Notification: 1 October 2021
Creation period: To be determined by selected application and the venue partners (sometime in early 2022)
* Please note the notification date might be subject to change but we will keep you informed as much as possible.
What happens next
Once the EOI closes, applications will be reviewed by program leads from Dancehouse, Abbotsford Convent, Darebin Arts, The Substation and Performing Lines. Applicants will be assessed against the key selection criteria.
You will be notified about the outcome of your application no later than 1 October 2021 unless otherwise notified beforehand of any change.
Hyperlocal is a joint commissioning program with Abbotsford Convent, Dancehouse, Darebin Arts and The Substation, produced by Performing Lines. This project is supported by the Victorian Government through Creative Victoria, and The Besen Family Foundation.