Photography Greta Costello
n-SCRIBE is an annual magazine produced by Darebin Arts and featuring the work of writers who live, work or study in the City of Darebin.
n-SCRIBE publishes fiction, non-fiction, poetry, short story, journalism, creative non-fiction, memoir and images. n-SCRIBE aims to uncover, celebrate and stimulate writing, arts and reading culture in Darebin. Published once each year in October.
Work is selected for publication by a working group of writers/editors. n-SCRIBE employs a blind submission process, work should be submitted via the online form without your name.
n-SCRIBE is a free publication, copies of the magazine are distributed at all Darebin libraries, Northcote Town Hall Arts Centre, cafes, and other Darebin community hubs.
• We accept poetry, fiction and non-fiction
• Only unpublished work accepted. The submitted entry must not have been published or accepted for publication by any publisher including online blogs, journals and self-published websites
• We accept work in 12 point, times new roman 1.5 spacing
• Each page must be numbered
• Each page must have a title on it
• All submissions must be sent in .doc, .docx. Title your uploaded file as follows. Your initials_title of work
pdf or ipad documents will not be accepted
• Word limit 1500 words
• Limit of two works per person
• You must provide a submission form for each work you submit
• Please make sure your name does not appear on submitted work
• We accept works only via the online submission form
• Only works chosen to be published will be notified
• We will accept work written in languages other than English, with translation included
• You must be 18 years old to submit to n-SCRIBE
Send us polished work, check spelling and grammar before you upload submissions.
Please note works are only accepted via the online form, no emailed or hard copies accepted.
Submissions have closed for 2018.
A launch of n-SCRIBE 13 is scheduled for 1 November 2018 each contributor is invited with a guest.
A selection of published works are read on the night.
n-SCRIBE 13 has a working group of nine volunteer writers/curators/editors/self published authors, that guide the publishing process.
If you wish to join the n-SCRIBE working group see Working Group Guidelines below,
Who can I contact for further information?
Editor n-SCRIBE 13
Click on the cover’s to read past issues of n-SCRIBE magazine.
n-SCRIBE Working Group guidelines
n-SCRIBE is published annually and is a project of the Creative Culture and Events Department – Darebin Council.
The working group for n-SCRIBE is a voluntary group of writers and editors.
Working with the Engagement Producer, the group meets over a three month period. Meetings are held in the evenings in the City of Darebin.
Selection of submissions for publication is the group’s primary task, working collaboratively. Their roles are dictated by experience, available time and expertise.
The group selects submitted work for publication in categories e.g. fiction, non-fiction, poetry. Three group members work together on each genre. This means the group is usually nine people in total. The working group also selects readings for the launch of n-SCRIBE each year.
The term of working group members is three years, unless otherwise agreed by the group.
Working group members must
- Live, work, study in the City of Darebin
- Be available for the majority of evening meetings. Usually 6/7 meetings leading to the Launch in November.
- Be prepared to read all selections for publication, and collaborate on choosing works for publication.
- Be prepared to contribute to layout
- Contribute to editing/copy editing for publication
- Contribute to the order of works in the publication
- Contribute to improvement of the group’s processes and governance
Send your CV and a brief statement of your publishing/editing/writing experience to the email address below. All enquiries to
Creative Culture and Events