n-SCRIBE is an annual magazine produced by Darebin Arts and featuring the work of writers who have a connection to the City of Darebin.
n-SCRIBE publishes fiction, non-fiction, poetry, short story, journalism, creative non-fiction, memoir and images. n-SCRIBE aims to uncover, celebrate and stimulate writing, arts and reading culture in Darebin. Published once each year.
Work is selected for publication by a Working Group of writers/editors.
The digital publication of n-SCRIBE 2020 is NOW LIVE! The print publication will be available from Darebin libraries, Northcote Town Hall Arts Centre, local cafes, bookshops and community hubs from February 2021. Read n-SCRIBE 2020 here:
n-SCRIBE is a free publication, copies of the magazine are distributed at all Darebin libraries, Northcote Town Hall Arts Centre, cafes, and other Darebin community hubs. Read previous editions below, click on the covers.
n-SCRIBE 14 is available in all Darebin libraries, cafes and commmuity hubs in November.
n-SCRIBE 14 Launch photos by Aaron Walker
Read these carefully before submitting
n-SCRIBE Submission Guidelines:
- Please make sure your name is not on your writing. If your uploaded writing has a name it will be disqualified
- Writing must be original, predominantly in English or with a translation
- Submitted works must not have been published or accepted for publication
- Your writing must be typed, in 11 or 12 point. No graphic fonts
- Each page must be numbered and with a title
- Please name your file using the following format: your surname_title of your work. file type
- Authors must live, work or study in the City of Darebin
- Limit of 2 submissions per person
- 1200 word limit. Short works are encouraged
- No hard copies or emailed writing will be accepted
- No ipad files or photos will be accepted
- You must be over 18 years of age to submit
Only writers selected will be notified
Send us polished work, check spelling and grammar before you upload submissions.
n-SCRIBE Working Group
n-SCRIBE has a working group of nine writers/curators/editors/self published authors, that guide the publishing process.
The working group for n-SCRIBE is a voluntary group. Working with the Engagement Producer, the group meets over a four month period. Meetings are held in the evenings in the City of Darebin. The group selects submitted work for publication in categories e.g. fiction, non-fiction, poetry. Three group members work together on each genre. This means the group is usually nine people in total. The working group also selects readings for the launch of n-SCRIBE each year in November.
The term of working group members is three years, unless otherwise agreed by the group.
Working group members must live, work, study in the City of Darebin
Information about joining the Working Group here.
Send your CV and a brief statement of your publishing/editing/writing experience to the email address below. All enquiries to
Who can I contact for further information?
Editor n-SCRIBE 14
Click on the covers to read past issues of n-SCRIBE magazine.
Creative Culture and Events