Call for entries | n-SCRIBE 15
n-SCRIBE is an annual magazine produced by Darebin Arts and features the work of writers who have a connection to the City of Darebin. We publish fiction, non-fiction, poetry, short story, journalism, creative non-fiction, memoir and images. n-SCRIBE is a free publication, and copies of the magazine are distributed to Darebin libraries, Northcote Town Hall Arts Centre, cafes, and other Darebin community hubs.
Published works are selected by a Working Group and the Managing Editor. This year n-SCRIBE 15 will be Co-Edited by Managing Editors Maddee Clark and Jinghua Qian.
ENTRIES OPEN: WEDNESDAY 25 AUGUST 2021
ENTRIES CLOSE: WEDNESDAY 6 OCTOBER 2021
Applications must be received online via Wufoo on or before this day/time. Late entries will not be considered. If you require support in submitting online or have access needs, please contact Darebin Arts staff on 8470 8458 or email email@example.com
Entry is free
n-SCRIBE 15 SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
1. Please make sure your name is not on your submitted work. We use a blind submission process, to be fair to all. If your name is on your uploaded writing, it will be disqualified
2. Writing must be original. All words submitted must be attributed with full copyright of the writer and must not infringe on the rights of another person or business
3. Experimentation with language and dialect is supported. Submissions are welcome in any language however, we ask that you include an English translation of your work to assist the working group. This can be in your own words
4. The submitted writing must not have been published or accepted for publication by any publisher including online publications
5. Your writing must be typed, double-spaced, and submitted online as a Word file. Any font is acceptable. Point size should be pt.11 or pt.12
6. Each page must be numbered and include the title
7. Only doc, docx and pdf files can be accepted. No iPad documents, Apple pages, or photos can be accepted
8. 1200 word limit on submissions
9. Please name your file using the following format: title of your work.file type
Example: To the Lighthouse.docx
10. Writers must have a connection to Darebin i.e. Writers must live, work or study in the City of Darebin
11. Maximum two submissions per person
12. The selection of works to be published is decided by the working group and managing editors. The working group and managing editor’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into
13. Submissions can only be accepted via the online Wufoo submission form. No hard copies or emailed entries will be accepted
14. You must be over 18 years to submit an entry
15. Employees of Darebin City Council and Councillors are ineligible to enter
16. Only selected writers will be notified
FAQs | Frequently Asked Questions
How do you submit an entry?
Submit your n-SCRIBE 15 application here: https://darebincouncil.wufoo.com/forms/m1dd40gj186zknj/
Can I submit my entry via email?
No all entries must be submitted via the online Wufoo form. If you require support in submitting online or have access needs, please contact Darebin Arts staff on 8470 8458 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are contributors paid a fee?
Each writer will receive a fee of $100 for work that is published in n-SCRIBE 15.
Can the Working Group submit an entry to n-SCRIBE as it’s a blind submission process?
Unfortunately the Working Group members and Managing Editors cannot submit an entry for n-SCRIBE magazine as they are involved in the selection process.
How do you become a member of the Working Group?
A call out for the Working Group will happen each year.
To join the Working Group:
– Members should have experience as a writer, editor/publisher or are studying Writing & Editing
– Have an interest in fiction, non-fiction, poetry and new writing styles
– Be prepared to read works and make written comment
– Be efficient and follow guidelines provided by the guest editor
– Be curious with a love of writing
– Diverse applicants and applicants who live, work, or study in City of Darebin are encouraged to apply
Send an email to Darebin Arts | Writing Projects (email@example.com) if you would like to receive updates about future opportunities.
Will my entry be considered if it’s submitted late?
No all entries must be submitted before the closing date. Late entries will not be considered.
I don’t live, work or study in Darebin am I eligible to enter?
Entrants must live, work or study in the City of Darebin.
Darebin City Council includes areas in Alphington, Bundoora, Coburg, Coburg North, Fairfield, Keon Park, Kingsbury, Macleod, Northcote, Preston, Regent West, Reservoir and Thornbury. For a detailed map showing shire boundaries and locality names, visit https://maps.land.vic.gov.au/lassi/VicnamesUI.jsp
I’ve been published in n-SCRIBE before, will my work be considered?
Yes, you can enter a new work for n-SCRIBE 15. The submitted writing must not have been published or accepted for publication by any publisher including online publications.
Is there a theme for n-SCRIBE 15?
There is no theme for n-SCRIBE. n-SCRIBE is open to all genres, styles or forms. We publish fiction, non-fiction, poetry, short story, journalism, creative non-fiction, memoir and images.
Can I apply if I’ve never published my writing before?
Yes, n-SCRIBE is open to new and experienced writers.
When will n-SCRIBE 15 magazine be launched?
We hope to launch the magazine in mid-February 2022.
Can I accompany my written text with an artwork?
There is a 1200 word-limit on submissions and entrants can submit a maximum of two submissions per person. If your word limit is below 1200 then an image can be included in your entry. If your text is 1200 words, the artwork can be submitted as a second entry for consideration.
If work is published in n-SCRIBE, does the author retain the copyright?
The author/artist retains full copyright of their work.
If you have any questions, please email:
Darebin Arts | Writing Projects
Click on the covers to read past issues of n-SCRIBE magazine.
For more information about n-SCRIBE magazine contact:
Darebin Arts | Writing Projects